Saturday, February 13, 2010

Silence is not Golden

In this month, America celebrates Black History. I really have faith that the races will one day have harmony - I hope for it with all of my might, however; my faith is continuously tested by the things that I see, hear, read, and sense. At times, I am so disappointed by the things I read and hear. The media, being what it is, allows so much unfiltered hatred to vent through the airwaves that is impossible to not hear and feel it.


I despair that even, with a Black man as President of these United States, nothing has really changed when viewed through the eyes of a Black man. We still are the last hired and first fired with the unemployment percentages reflecting the reality of life if you are Black. How can there be change for all of us if it is selective in nature. How is it done; who permits it to happen; and yet, no one knows? The more I fight it through my blog, over twitter and Facebook, the more that it flourishes.


I am happy that I live here in Mexico, but sadden that my reasons are nurtured by the fear of a great of racism, and the offshoots of this racism, that is inspired to grow because of the current environment in America. Where else can peoples of thought that are contrary to the well-being of us all shout negativism, broadcast hatred, and form militias based upon creeds that support the supremacy of one race over all others – all of which is ‘allowed’.


Why does the silent majority always ignore the obvious until it is too late? What goes through the mind of a man whose stomach is sicken by these acts and yet he aspires never to intervene on the behalf of what is right?

It is a crime to foster an atmosphere of racism, desecrate by name and deed another person or group, but we see it occur every day with increased frequency and viciousness. The dragging of a human being’s body at the end of a truck until it is unrecognizable simply because of his sexual preferences. The disenfranchising of a class of people because of greed, the denial of opportunities to better ones self because of selective indifferences; these are all forms of racism occurring with each tick of the clock and few join with a concerted effort to enforce the laws that would restrict such behavior.


In a democracy, silence is not golden; it is condonance in the face of injustices; it is fear, where the thought of reprisal fosters control – Rodney A. Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment